Yoghurt & Quinoa Pancakes with Caramelised Banana + a GIVEAWAY for Mum
By Amy Crawford
First up today we're sharing a special recipe for Mothers Day. Now don't you worry Mums, we won't have you baking your own pancakes on this very special day, 'no way, Jose!' We've created a recipe we believe to be fool proof enough that the kids (and even Dad ;) can make (and we hope deliver to your bedside). So ladies? Flick this post to your other half (or your littlies), grab the paper and a cuppa and be prepared for some serious pampering. You're to stay in bed and that's an order!
(Oh and make sure you all scroll down below for our exciting Mothers Day GIVEAWAY - to the value of $300!).
Makes: 6-8 pancakes
You will need:
1 1/2 cup quinoa flour
1 cup coconut milk (I like the Ayam brand)
3/4 cup plain Greek yoghurt
2 tablespoons coconut nectar (maple or rice malt syrup would suffice)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder or 1 teaspoon essence
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
A good pinch sea salt
For the caramelised bananas:
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 teaspoons coconut sugar
In a small frying pan heat the tablespoon of coconut oil over medium heat. Slice the banana into rounds and place in the pan. Sprinkle the coconut sugar on top. Toast the bananas lightly for 2 minutes on each side until they become a beautifully caramelised golden brown. Be careful not to burn the sugar. Remove from heat and set aside.
To make the pancake batter, combine the quinoa flour, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. In a separate larger bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (coconut milk, yoghurt, sweetener and egg) until smooth. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mix and gently combine. The batter should be thick but just runny enough to be poured.
Warm your frying pan on medium to hot heat and grease with coconut oil. Ensure the pan is hot before you place the batter on it - this is important if you want fluffy pancakes. Pour approximately 1/4 cup of batter into rounds in your pan, you may only fit one at a time. Allow bubbles to form at the surface of the pancake before using a metal spatula to flip. Cooking time is 2-3 minutes on each side.
Serve warm heaped with caramelised bananas. A sprinkling of pecans would also be lovely.
Our Mothers Day GIVEAWAY!
In honor of our special mums, we have put together a selection of healthy treats and pampered goodies that our mums deserve. These special gifts, to the value of $300, come from businesses that THI holds particularly dear. We love these companies for their ethical approach, innovative products and organic and whole foods focus. This amazing little gift pack can be sent anywhere in Australia. In it you will find:
- Natural Raw C Coconut Water - THI's choice of coconut water, to hydrate mum from the inside out.
- The "Goddess" Tea from The Seventh Duchess - those most amazing tea brand, truly a luxurious blend.
- A 15% discount off Who Gives a Crap toilet paper subscription - building toilets in developing countries, to help flush poverty down the loo!
- 11:11 Granola - a healthy homemade gluten free granola made right here in Melbourne, for mums with mornings on the GO.
- A Planet Luxe hand wash and hand balm duo - love the environmentally friendly yet luxurious ethos behind this brand.
- A Bare Blends gift pack - Delicious organic flavoured natural whey protein powder, bare berries and bare greens that will nourish an active mum.
- And a copy of The Holistic Ingredient's A Nourishing Kitchen eBook!
In order to win this awesome prize, just tell us in 30 words or less why YOUR mum is the very best mum ever to have walked this earth. The winner will be announced by midday Monday 12th May.
Conditions of entry:
This giveaway is only open to Australian residents
You must be a THI blog subscriber.