An introduction to Reiki - what, why and how.
By Amy Crawford
I have received many questions around my Reiki practice so I have decided to provide a brief introduction for those of you looking for a better understanding. I hope this helps but do feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to help!
What is Reiki?
Reiki is a Japanese technique based on the (scientifically proven) premise that there is a Universal Life Energy in all living things. The Usui System of Reiki healing applies this energy through touch for the purpose of healing. A Reiki Practitioner places his or her hands on the client and transmits high frequency energy into their client to correct imbalances in the body. Reiki works in harmony with all other forms of healing and is now regularly used in hospitals and clinics.
Why have a Reiki treatment?
- Hands on healing has been scientifically proven to be effective in accelerating healing
- A Reiki treatment supports the whole person including body, emotions, mind and spirit creating many beneficial effects
- On a physical level Reiki helps decrease pain, accelerates the healing time of bones and wounds, relaxes muscles and diminishes the tissue involvement of burns and bruises. It is possible to reduce the negative side effects of treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation. Colds, flus, bee stings, heart disease - many physical conditions can be treated with reiki.
- On a mental and emotional level anxiety is reduced, a sense of well-being increased and another level of relaxation felt. At this degree of deep relaxation a rebalancing of energies occurs and the natural healing ability of the body is enhanced
- On a spiritual level, clients have stated that they feel reborn and rejuvenated after a full-body session
How is a Reiki treatment given?
A typical Reiki treatment will see the client lying full clothed on a massage table. It is also possible to give a Reiki treatment to a client sitting or standing. The practitioner places his of her hands on or near the client's body in a series of hand positions from the head to the feet that are held for anywhere from 2 to 10 mins, depending on how much time is required at each hand placement. The treatment will generally last anywhere from 45 mins to an hour and may include feedback obtained by the practitioner during the treatment. A client may return to their practitioner on a bi-weekly basis for a while or may find that one session provides all the necessary benefits. Reiki 2 practitioners are qualified to provide distance healing meaning you could be anywhere in the world and receive healing from your practitioner.
What does a Reiki treatment feel like?
Everyone will have a slightly different experience however typically people feel a much deeper sense of relaxation. Personally I feel an amazing glowing radiance or energy moving through my body , sometimes in surges and it will flow through me and all around me. Others will see visions, or feel like they are floating above their body. Where the practitioner feels blockages in a client's energy (and will choose to spend time clearing that blockage) the client may feel an initial heaviness but then a release and flow of energy. It is not unusual for clients to experience an emotional release as emotional turmoil is brought to the surface and released.
How much does a Reiki treatment cost?
This will differ from practitioner to practitioner. My charge is $100 for a 45-60 minute treatment and includes feedback I receive through the healing process. If you would like to book a Reiki treatment please feel free to email email@example.com to make an appointment. Please note, treatments are conducted in Yarraville, Victoria. In special cases I am happy to come to you.