'Inserting' some toxic truth into the world of feminie hygiene products & introducing our saviour, TOM Organics.
By Amy Crawford
Okay, maybe 'inserting' was a bit much, but if it got your attention that's a good thing because this is a serious topic. Toxic chemicals are everywhere - in the air, on food, in household furnishings, in cleaning products, loo paper, toothpaste, make up, moisturiser, shampoo...everywhere. That is, unless you, like me, have been forced to eradicate toxicity from your life as a result of illness, as far and wide as possible. Or perhaps you've simply become aware of its dangers and have chosen to detoxify your life irrespective, which is awesome.
Back in January I wrote a post titled The great toxicity overhaul - one room at a time I wrote this post to share with you the process I had to go through (at the time of my Chronic Fatigue Syndrome diagnosis) following receipt of toxicity readings that were off the Richter scale. At the time I had no idea just how toxic my entire environment was. My Dr gave me strict instructions to go home and start eradicating toxicity, one room at a time. I was like "What? My blue Colgate gel toothpaste...noooo!!!!"
That was then. These days I am a lot better informed and consequently make very considered choices when it comes to products I buy for my home, my skin, my diet, the lot.
I will say, (supposedly) 'natural', cotton feminine hygiene products didn't occur to me immediately as a threat to my health. There are certain things you just don't consider, that you become blind to day to day until someone highlights the issue right in front of you. I was a Libra girl, they were my go-to hygiene products of choice. I loved their packaging, they looked clean and smart and fresh. I mean really? Far out, how hugely (badly) influenced are we all by packaging and marketing campaigns? Irrespective if didn't take long for me to get to that corner of my bathroom and study the products. Those tampons where very, very white for a start. How did they get so white? Bleach! Surely! Right, "see ya never Libra!".. and off to the bin they went.
So it was that I discovered TOM Organics, an Australian female owned, personal care company who stock a range of certified organic cotton tampons, pads and liners. Hello toxic free products and welcome to my body!
According to the founder of TOM Organics, Aimee Marks; "Most tampons are made from a blend of synthetics and cotton; cotton is one of the most heavily pesticide sprayed crops on the planet, using more than 25% of the world's total insecticides. As women we often read the ingredients on our skincare and our food, and yet we don’t stop to think about what we're putting in one of the most sensitive, absorbent parts of our bodies!"
Did you know that the core ingredient of non organic feminine hygiene products may contain rayon, viscose, pesticide-sprayed cotton and polypropylene; in other words - tree pulp, bleach, synthetics, chemicals and plastic? You want those in your nether regions? It's doubtful. Also, the average woman uses more than 12,000 tampons in her life time - so just imagine if you used 12,000 pesticide-laden tampons, leaching toxicity into your body? No don't imagine because believe me the result can be just awful. "Natural" cotton commonly refers to the fact there are no synthetics and plastics added to the natural fibre after the plant is harvested. However this does not mean that it is chemical-free as it is grown in a field with conventional cotton and often sprayed with chemical pesticides, during the growth process.
So why TOM Organics?
- TOM products are made using the purest organic cotton on earth. Breathable, comfortable and hypoallergenic, all products are free from chemicals, bleaches and genetically modified material, making them better for your body and better for the earth.
- They are Certified Organic. This means the item has been grown according to strict uniform standards as verified by independent certification bodies such as ACO (Australia Certified Organic), Australia's largest certifier for organic and biodynamic produce.
- For those of us in Australia? It's local and we love to buy local!
- ‘Purity of mind and body’ is the philosophy behind their range of the finest organic feminine hygiene products imaginable - and let's be honest, we all strive for purity of the mind and body don't we?
- If you care about your health, your purity, your mothers/sisters/daughters and your planet why wouldn't you make a purchasing decision that promotes good health and sustainability for all?
Where can you find them?
The range of products is available Australia-wide through the TOM Organic online store, Woolworths, Coles and selected pharmacies and health food stores.