3 tips for fabulous Winter skin PLUS a hydrating body bar recipe
The cool Winter temperatures and low humidity see most of having hotter showers, turning the heat up in our home and wearing lots of layers. Unfortunately, this combination often leaves our skin dull and flaky, as well as feeling tight and sometimes a little itchy.
The good news is that you can help your skin feel moist and supple all Winter long by making a few simple changes to your everyday routine.
- Stay Hydrated – your skin is often the first place to show signs of dehydration so it’s important to keep your water intake high. Herbal teas are a great way to do this during the colder months.
- Modify your skincare routine – in the warmer months we tend to use lighter products due to high humidity levels. In Winter, consider a cream or oil-based cleanser as well as a moisturiser that contains rich, hydrating oils like Rosehip. Check out my favourite face serum recipe here that can be adjusted to your skin and season.
- Keep your showers short and not too hot – hot showers, while beautifully warming, can dry out your skin. Treat your bath and shower sessions as an opportunity to love on your skin. Exfoliate twice a week (I’ve got a great recipe here) and moisturise your entire body after each shower.
Which brings me to my Heavenly Hydrating Body Bar. This recipe is knock your socks off incredible. Not only is it simple to whip up and is completely tox free, but you also have the flexibility to customise your body bar to your skin type through your choice of essential oils.
I’ve used a combination of two oils - Cypress and Bergamot specifically for their therapeutic properties.
Cypress oil has a long history of healing and protecting. It has the most wonderful camphorous aroma that is uplifting and relaxing however the big reason I include Cypress is because it reduces mild rheumatic aches and pains.
Bergamot is the most delicious citrus oil. It’s delicate, subtle and works wonderfully with Cypress. The beautiful thing about Bergamot is the calming effect it has on the body and mind. It is fabulous at reducing symptoms of stress (both physical and mental) as well as supporting emotional wellbeing. It is without doubt, my favourite citrus oil.
Heavenly Hydrating Body Bar
This recipe makes approximately 3 x 60ml bars.
You will need:
- A silicone mould or ice cube tray
- 60 grams of Candelilla Wax (is derived from the leaves of the Mexican shrub Euphorbia antisyphilitica, alternatively you can use beeswax.)
- 60 grams of coconut oil
- 60 grams of shea butter or cocoa butter
- 10 drops of Cypress Essential Oil
- 10 drops of Bergamot Essential Oil
- In a glass bowl add the cocoa/shea butter, candelilla wax and coconut oil.
- Place the bowl into a saucepan filled with approximately 5cm of water on medium-low heat until the wax, oil and cocoa butter has melted.
- Remove from the heat and stir in your essential oils.
- Pour into moulds and let it cool slightly before putting it in the fridge to set.
- Once set, remove the bars from the mould. Store in a glass jar in a cool place out of direct sunlight.
Top Tip – make up a double batch and keep some squirreled away to give to your special people. They make the most beautiful gift.
Before you get hydrating, I recommend a long, relaxing soak in the bath using my favourite bath salt recipes. I’d love to hear if you have incorporated any of these tips and recipes into your Winter skin routine.
Purchasing essential oils.
If you would like to purchase your very own doTERRA essential oils at wholesale price (25% off RRP) I can help you kick start your journey and provide you with all the information you need to make sure you are using them safely and effectively. Feel free to shoot me an email firstname.lastname@example.org and let's chat. Or you can simply set up your own account here.