5 Reasons Why You Should Add Marine Collagen To Your Skin Routine
You know I love collagen powder at The Holistic Ingredient. I’ve been adding it to recipes for years. Recently I created my own marine collagen booster blend and I get asked this a lot: Why is marine collagen the best collagen powder for your skin?
It all comes down to different Types of collagen. Marine collagen contains a high amount of Type 1 collagen - well known for its skin-boosting properties. Type 1 is essential for flexible and strong connective tissues, bones and dermis. The more Type 1 you have in your body, the more you will be able to support natural collagen synthesis in the skin. With improved skin elasticity and skin dermis, it will appear more supple, hydrated and smooth. Marine collagen is known as the ‘beauty collagen’ because it not just boosts your skin but hair and nail health too.
So, should you add marine collagen to your daily skin routine? Yes! But first…
Why do we need a collagen supplement anyway?
Collagen is a long chain of linked amino acids that occurs naturally in our bodies. It gives our cells, muscles, tendons, blood vessels, digestive system and connective tissues the framework they need to perform at their best.
We take collagen supplements because from our early 20s our body’s own production of collagen drops (falling by 1.5% every year). By the time we’re 40 we are producing 25% less collagen. This makes us more prone to symptoms we associate with aging including achy joints, fine lines and wrinkles, thinning hair and digestion issues.
5 reasons you should add marine collagen to your skin routine
1. Bioavailability. Type 1 collagen is the most bioavailable of all types of collagen. It digests and is absorbed more quickly and easily at 1.5 times faster than other types of collagen. Because of the smaller size of marine collagen peptides they are more bioavailable and absorbable by the body. Type 1 goes straight to work on your skin, hair and nail health.
2. Improves skin plumpness and hydration. Boosting Type 1 collagen helps your skin look plumper, smoother, and even helps your skin cells renew and repair themselves. Type 1 collagen makes up 85% of our skin’s collagen – it’s the building block of skin structure. Studies show marine collagen peptides help your skin maintain healthy hydration. That gives you the collagen ‘glow’. Marine collagen can help the skin dermis maintain its structural integrity, the basis for healthy, more youthful-looking skin.
3. Antioxidants. Marine collagen is rich in antioxidants which block free radicals and protect the skin from oxidation. Marine collagen has several amino acids: lysine, glycine, proline and hydroxyproline. All of these play a part in protecting against free radicals that cause cell damage. Studies show marine collagen helps protect against oxidative skin damage caused by sunlight.
4. Wound healing and reducing the appearance of scars. Studies show marine collagen may lead to faster healing of wounds. As the main component of the dermal matrix of the skin, collagen is necessary for regeneration of skin after any skin injury, scars, rashes, and burns. Marine collagen peptides can be an important component of wound healing by promoting cell proliferation, protein synthesis, and regenerating the extracellular matrix for tissue strength.
5. Gut health. What’s your gut got to do with skin? Well, when your gut is properly absorbing nutrients, your skin will look healthier and brighter. Collagen plays a vital role in rebuilding and strengthening the lining of our digestive tract because it contains the amino acids—particularly glycine and glutamine—that are essential for its repair. Research shows marine collagen peptides can reduce gut barrier dysfunction. If you’ve ever had ‘leaky gut’, it’s likely you have suffered from impaired nutrient absorption (and your skin may have looked a little sallow). That’s because nutrients that would otherwise be digested and absorbed in a healthy gut escape through the intestinal lining. By upping our collagen intake and repairing our gut, we can help reduce the loss of nutrients.
Ready to enjoy all the skin benefits of marine collagen?
My marine collagen booster blend contains Type 1 collagen – bursting with benefits for smoother skin, healthier hair and stronger nails. My blend is also high in Vitamin C and antioxidants thanks to high potency kakadu and davidson plum. Collagen is more readily absorbed with Vitamin C.
You can purchase your marine collagen booster blend here!