9 Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
Not a day goes by that I don't consume this coconut butter/oil in some way, multiple times. I am a HUGE supporter of the coconut in general and mostly so for coconut oil. I have tried many different varieties and they do differ in flavour and of course quality. If you are new to the benefits of coconut oil the first thing you need to know is that not all coconut oil or butter is created equal. It is very important that you select an oil that is organic, cold pressed and unrefined. I typically buy the Loving Earth Coconut Butter ('butter' because of it's creamier texture) but also love the Niugini brand (plus theirs comes with a great jar for reusable airtight storage).
Here's our nine health benefits of coconut oil:
- Healthy saturated fat: Coconut oil contain medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs). These are quickly metabolised by our liver and converted into energy - not stored as fat in the body.
- Immune system builder: It is known for its Lauric acid content which boosts our immune function.
- Aids weight loss: Renowned for it's ability to increase thyroid function and metabolic rate - SOLD!
- High temperature cooking oil: Coconut oil is considered one of the most stable oils used for cooking at high temperatures. Many oils (like olive oil) oxidise at high temperatures creating free radicals in our bodies (read: not our friends).
- Moisturiser: Every day I lather this oily goodness all over my skin. It absorbs beautifully and leaves it feeling soft and subtle. Coconut oil is fantastic for skin conditions including eczema and psoriasis and reduces the appearance of fine lines (sold!). It also makes for a dreamy hair treatment. Whack a couple of tablespoons into dry hair and let it soak in for about 20 minutes. Beautiful.
- Make up remover: It makes for a great makeup remover. I choose to use mine for my eyes. Pop a bit on a cotton pad, wipe your eyes and voila! It also doubles as a great eye cream whilst you're at it.
- Anti-fungal: helps prevent candidas, nappy rash, athletes foot and thrush.
- Prevents sugar cravings: Ok for many this might be a hard concept to get your head around but it's true. If you are craving something sweet after your meal or even if you're not quite satiated eat a dessert spoon of coconut oil straight from the jar. Wait 15-20 minutes and I guarantee your sugar craving and appetite will have disappeared.
- The jars! Oh how I love these amber Loving Earth jars! I now store many of my kitchen concoctions in these jars and plan on using them for Christmas presents this year, filling them with homemade granola and spicy nuts etc. Why not make a difference to the environment whilst you're at it?
What's your favourite way to incorporate coconut oil into your life?