Banana & Tahini Smoothie
I remember the first time I ever tried tahini and far out I thought it was just plain odd. The pasty consistency, the weirdish flavour. WELL - let's just say I've moved thick and fast those sentiments! All my tahini jars now (typically) see is a visit from a teaspoon which quickly bypasses most crackers etc and deposits itself directly into my mouth. It turns out tahini can be quite the last minute on-the-go snack. It also turns out that tahini can be very much an acquired taste, of which I have well and truly proven.
So why would I be encouraging others to develop 'teaspoon graveyards' of their jars of tahini? Well for jolly good cause as it happens and this is why:
- Tahini is an excellent source of calcium and is higher in protein than most nuts
- It is high in Vitamin E and Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5 & B15, promoting healthy cell growth and function
- Rich in magnesium, lecithin, potassium and iron, tahini works well to fight anaemia
- A great source of methionine which aids liver detoxification
- Is easy to digest due to it's high alkaline mineral content
- Is high in unsaturated(good!) fat.
You shouldn't need any further encouragement - tuck in folks!
1.5 cups almond milk
1/2-1 frozen banana
1 raw egg or natural protein powder of choice
1 tablespoon tahini
1 heaped tablespoon Greek organic yoghurt
1 heaped teaspoon maca
1 heaped teaspoon ground flaxseed
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Optional - 1 heaped teaspoon marine collagen
Simply combine all ingredients in your blender and whiz it all up.
If you're interested in my thoughts around consuming raw eggs you can read my post here. In short, I rely on eggs for my daily protein and love them in smoothies because they are virtually flavourless, yet provide a great texture. Love their versatility! Combine this with the benefits of maca, and yoghurt, and you have nothing more than simple nutrition in a glass. Enjoy.
I'd love to hear how you incorporate tahini into your daily diet, all tips welcome please!
You can purchase my Organic Raw Maca Powder here.