Are you where you want to be in life? A lesson in change and 6 simple tips for creating it.
For many years I wasn't where I wanted to be. I was working with my nose to the grindstone, throwing every ounce of energy I had at my recruitment career, working way too hard and slowly but surely getting sicker and sicker. The problem was I was doing well career wise. I was earning good money, I had a successful business. I was setting myself up for my future and most of the time, I felt huge satisfaction for the job that I was doing. At the same time, I had a well established client and candidate base which meant business came in the door. Having said that I knew something needed to change. Every year I would crash with this mysterious virus at least twice. Every time that happened I rode it out, got back up and went back to the office. Deep down I knew this wasn't my path. Deep down I knew, fundamentally, that there was something else out there for me - something that would light the fire in my belly and fill my heart with passion. Yet back I went, year after year after year. And guess what? Nothing changed. Nothing. I just got sicker.
You see, as my very dear friend and mentor Joanne Antoun has so rightly put "if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got." I knew I had to take a different action, I needed to change course, I just didn't know how. It wasn't long however before the universe sorted that out for me, throwing CFS into the equation, putting me on my back and forcing change hard and fast. It did that because I wasn't listening. I was turning a blind eye to the signs because I didn't know how to change course. I share these words for you in part as a gentle warning. Don't let this be you. Listen to your body, listen to the messages you hear and receive - do what is right for you. Make that change.
Only recently, I received a newsletter from Joanne that resonated beautifully. It made me realise how far I'd come and just how much I'd changed, in so many ways. I have chosen to share Jo's words with you today because I feel there is so much in here for all of us and in the hope that I can inspire others to find their true passion.
Change Requires Change, by Joanne Antoun
There’s no better time than now to get out of life’s waiting room and start something new. After all, if where you are now, isn’t how you want things to stay, then change is required.
Have you forgotten just how powerful you really are? Do you spend your time thinking or saying sentences that start with “I’ll be happy when”? When I have the right relationship, when he or she behaves a certain way, when I have the right amount of money in the bank, when I lose weight, when I’m acknowledged, when I’m appreciated, when I have the right car, the list could go on and on.
Doing this places all of your power and chances of happiness outside of yourself. You literally wont be happy until you get what you believed it would take, and to be honest, what it gives you will last but a moment. Why? Because you’ve given complete control to something or someone outside yourself. You’ll get it and realize it doesn’t have the luster you thought it would, or you’ll get it, lose it, and be utterly devastated, or you’ll be waiting forever for it - wasting your precious life sitting in life’s waiting room along with all the others, waiting and waiting, and complaining about all the waiting you’re having to do.
Isn’t it time you got out of life’s waiting room? Imagine reclaiming your power, living a more empowered life, and attracting to yourself all your heart desires and so very much more. It’s easy, it really is. You have within you a power and a gift that can change everything in a heartbeat. You have free will and the power of choice. You get to choose your own thoughts. You can be stripped of most things in life, but you will always, always, have the power to choose your own thoughts.
Nothing has any meaning other than the meaning you give it. For example rain is rain, to a farmer during drought it’s a blessing from the gods, to a bride on her wedding day, it’s an absolute disaster. But what is it really? It’s simply just rain. So, if nothing has any meaning other than the meaning you give it, doesn’t that then mean if you change the way you see things then in that instant the very things you see change too?You can live the life of a victim, completely controlled by outside circumstances or you can take responsibility for your life, where you are, how you got here, step back into a position of power and truly be the master of your life.
A client earlier today said, “Joanne, you make everything sound so simple…too simple almost” The truth is, that it is simple. We as humans complicate our lives by making our problems seem so much bigger than they actually are, therefore it requires a huge complicated solution. When in actual fact, if we break our issues down to their simplest form all that is required is a simple solution. Here’s an example. This same client today wants more than anything to become a quantum physicist but says to achieve that he needs to be smarter. As we broke it down he said he needs to pay more attention, be more focused and less distracted, be better at his studies and put in more effort etc. when asked what stops him from all of the above, he said he was lazy. When asked why, he said he just felt tired all the time and didn’t have the energy to do what was required. So what’s the real issue, is it that he isn’t smart enough or is it that he’s just too tired to be bothered? By working on reclaiming his power and looking after his physical health and diet to gain more energy we are then firing off a chain of events that will happen naturally. It’s clear that he is passionate about becoming a physicist, no doubt about it, however by feeling as though he has more energy he will naturally move from being lazy to motivated, which will make him more attentive, less distracted and more able to achieve that which he desires because he will see that he’s actively moving towards his dream.
When your car breaks down, is it the whole car, every part that has stopped working or is it just a particular part? Your entire future, everything, is dependent upon how you look at it. If you want things to change and change quickly, then you must “ be “ the change. You can’t expect your life to change if you keep on thinking, living, behaving and eating the same way…..Change requires Change. And let me tell you when one thing changes, everything changes.
Leaders, inspiring people and heroes always find a positive meaning in events and experiences that would often be enough to devastate others. Let’s take a look at Nelson Mandela for instance, in 1964 he was sent to prison in South Africa where he spent twenty-seven years. He went in with the attitude and mindset of a freedom fighter, he believed in his cause and would not be broken. He was not a criminal but rather a warrior in a battle to free South Africa. He refused to be broken, refused to allow those that put him behind bars and the prison wardens to dehumanise or humiliate him no matter how hard they tried. He knew that although they had his body in a cell no one could imprison his thoughts, for they were his own and always would be. He never lost hope or belief in his cause, he maintained his strength of character and would not become a passive victim. Instead he used his time to become an example to others and to forge a heroic identity for himself, one that would go on to inspire millions. Nelson Mandela was never really imprisoned, for in his mind he was free as a bird.
In 2001 during an interview with Oprah Winfrey, Mandela spoke of what being in prison had given him and the important role it had played in his development. “If I had not been in prison,” he said, “I would not have been able to achieve the most difficult task in life, and that is changing yourself.” Mandela has emerged as a great leader, not because of his time in prison but because of how he chose to see the experience. Remember, nothing has any meaning other than the meaning we give it, and true leaders, empowered people, have an extraordinary capacity to learn from each experience, always recognising that everything happens for a reason, there is always a positive intention and something to learn from everything.
Wisdom comes not from how many days you’ve spent on the planet but from your life experiences, how you’ve processed them and the lessons you’ve learned. So again if where you are, isn’t how you want things to stay then it’s time for change.
Simple Tips for Creating Change.
- Think different thoughts.Become aware of what you think, feel, say and believe, because what you radiate you do attract. It is universal law. You’re habitual patterns of thought have contributed to creating who and where you are today. Think only of what you do want, never what you don’t want, and always in present tense. If you think a thought that’s even somewhat negative, catch yourself out and immediately say ‘I used to think that but now……………’(replace the negative thought with a positive and always say it in present tense for example “ …..now I only attract loving people into my world”)
- Take a different action. If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you always got. Change starts with you. Align yourself with that positive more empowered thought, feeling it fully and take the appropriate action. No-one has ever had a pot of gold fall into their lap by simply meditating on it, some form of action is always required.
- See things from a more positive perspective. Pull yourself out of a lower energy rut by forcing yourself to see from a more favourable perspective. There is always something positive to be gained from every experience, they are opportunities to learn and grow, to gain positive tools, resources, skills, and wisdom. If you allow them to, the most challenging experiences in your life will often guide you to the depths of your soul and you will come out a far better person with so much more to offer the world. Remember, nothing has any meaning other than the meaning you give it. Change the way you see things and the very things you see change.
- Have an attitude of gratitude. Raise your vibration by being grateful for all the blessings in your life. After all what you feed grows. Lack creates more lack. Focus on and feed the feelings of gratitude and you are guaranteed to attract to yourself so many blessings and so much more to be grateful for.
- Live in the present moment. After all that’s really all you have. All of your power lies in the here and now, and you have the free will and power of choice to do with it as you please. Keep your power here in present time. It’s what you do right now in this moment, that creates your next moment, and ultimately your tomorrows. Change your vibration and in that instant you change your world.
- Right now is the best time to change. Don’t go to your deathbed wondering what would have happened if... This is your life, your choice, you are in complete control of your thoughts...make them good ones.
Joanne Antoun is a Lecturer in the field of Personal Growth and Consciousness, a Gifted Medium, Creator and trainer of CTC Technique, a Psychotherapist, Reiki Master Teacher, NLP Master Practitioner and Trainer, Hypnotherapy Trainer, EFT Trainer, Life Coach, Inspirational Speaker, Teacher of Accelerated Learning Techniques,and an Author. Joanne is available for Corporate Events. Joanne is now personally training students to deliver her incredibly transformative 2 hour CTC – Combined Therapy Cocktail session.