The 100% safe, household cleaning product that brings joy to my domestic chores + a giveaway!
I am often asked which household cleaning products I use in the home, given my toxicity aversion and determination to live as 'clean' as possible (you can read more about my extensive toxicity overhaul here). So this week I am very happy to introduce the product that brings a little bit of joy to my domestic chores (ok, so maybe 'joy' is too strong a word to combine with cleaning?). This range is PLANET LUXE, a Melbourne based cleaning range that is 100% natural and just happens to look gorgeous at the same time (yes, I admit, it factors in to my purchase, particularly if it sits on my bench).
What's so wrong with common household cleaning products?
Surely the fact that most of these products use words such as 'Danger', 'Poison', 'Warning' or 'Do not use in confined spaces' says it all. Do you really want to use a cleaning product that tells you to wear gloves on application? What then happens when you go and lie in the bath - the bath that you've just cleaned with a product containing poison that required gloves to apply? What about the (poisonous) household sprays that you are inhaling as you clean your bench tops and cupboards? And don't get me started on the washing up liquid that remains on your dishes, irrespective of your quick rinse. The stuff is bad news. It leaches through your skin, into your blood stream and can cause a myriad of health issues that are either acute or immediate (such as skin and respiratory irritation, watery eyes and chemical burns) whilst other reactions are associated with chronic, or long-term effects, such as cancer (or CFS in my instance). But that's not all, what about the health of our environment? Of our pets who lie about on the floor poisoned with floor cleaning? This stuff is poison to our health, our pets health and our planet's health.
So what should we look for?
When it comes to your health AND planet health, it pays to look beyond claims of just ‘ecologically-friendly’ or ‘natural’. In order to help protect our water quality and aquatic life we need to refuse to purchase detergents containing phosphates, nitrates, ammonia, synthetic fragrances or triclosan. In addition, the chemical culprits to avoid include: parabens, sodium laurel sulphate (SLS)/sodium laureth sulphate, sodium hydroxide (bleach), chlorine, diethanolamine (DEA), triethanolamine (TEA), ethylene-diamino-tetra-acetate (EDTA), synthetic dyes. The best advice is to read the ingredient label and look for what the product DOES NOT CONTAIN rather than trust the product name or marketing language.
So why would you use PLANET LUXE products?
- Because it's SAFE! All PLANET LUXE products are natural, botanical blends of organic herbs, plant extracts and pure essential oils. They are toxin-free, readily 100% biodegradable and greywater safe with no animal testing or animal-by-products. There are NO parabens, No ammonia, NO sulphates, NO bleach, NO optical whiteners, NO nitrates, No chlorine, NO enzymes, No synthetic fragrances or dyes in any of our products. That means absolutely no harmful chemicals or other nasty stuff, only 99%+ plant-derived, high-performance ingredients and blissful essential oils.
- Speaking of these essential oils (which include Australian Lemon Myrtle, Ylang Ylang, Sweet Orange, Vanilla, Australian Eucalyptus Blue Gum, Kakadu Plum, Rose Geranium, Coconut and Lavender), these leave your house smelling great!
- It's locally made (for those of us in Melbourne).
Is there any down side to using this product (or any 100% natural product?)
In my opinion, there are two downsides, albeit minor:
- The first is the fact your whites are never as white again. That's a fact. The bleaching agents in common cleaning products and whiteners certainly take our greying whites to another level. My whites are not quite the same. Having said that, using Planet Luxe is about doing better. Even if you use this product 50% of the time and need to introduce a little NapiSan every once in a while you are doing BETTER, for you AND the environment. Once every six months I will NapiSan my sheets and then wash them again with Planet Luxe. That's my one indiscretion.
- I really, really miss Jif. I miss it a lot. I wish Planet Luxe did a cream cleaning product because you need it in the shower and in the bath. It makes cleaning easy. I have it on good authority that they are working on so I will stick to bicarb in the interim, and wait patiently.
What does the PLANET LUXE range include?
- Dish Wash 500ml
- House Cleaner 500ml
- Floor Cleaner 1000ml
- Toilet Cleaner 1000ml
- Laundry Liquid 1000ml
- Hand Wash 500ml
Where can you buy it?
You can buy the product online and via selected stockists. Jump onto the PLANET LUXE website for further details regarding stockists and products.
This week PLANET LUXE are offering TWO readers the chance to win a pack of Dish Wash and House Cleaner. Each pack of one Dish Wash 500ml and one House Cleaner 500ml is valued at RRP $25.
To enter the giveaway you must be a subscriber to The Holistic Ingredient blog, live in Australia AND leave a comment on this post, below. I will be choosing the winners through a random online number generator on Friday afternoon post 4pm. Good luck!